Nora's Birth Story

Nora Emilia Osegueda came May 22, 2015 at 2:49 am. She weighed 7 lbs 3.5 oz and was 19.5 inches long.
Here is her birth story:
I woke up a little after 1 am on May 22nd to a contraction that felt like "the real thing". I stayed laying down in bed through 1 more wave and then got up and went to the living room so that I could get more comfortable. During contractions I moved in a circular motion sitting on an exercise ball and listened to Hypnobabies tracks to stay calm and relaxed. Waves came on quickly lasting 1.5 min and coming every 4-7 min. I timed the contractions on the computer and stayed in the living room for a little while, then went back to wake up Cisco around 1:30. I just tapped him on the shoulder and he woke up and asked "is it time?", I replied "I think so" and then went back to the living room.  Cisco set up the birthing pool in our room and called his mom so he could drop off the kids. I called my midwife, Stephanie, but said not to come yet because it wasn't too intense and I was comfortable. I told her I would call when I started vocalizing through them.
I moved back to our room and saw Graham was awake and staring into the birthing pool as it filled up. He had heard it being filled up and came to investigate. :) Cisco got the kids in the car and then left to drop them off, while I continued to labor in our room with the lights dim, leaning on the edge of the bed. I called my mom to let her know I was in labor and to pray for me. She asked if it was early labor then and I said I didn't know... They were coming on pretty strong, but I was still comfortable and I didn't want to get my hopes up in case I still had a while. I called Stephanie back soon after though, about 25 min after I called her the first time, because I had just vocalized through a wave and knew it might be soon. She left her house (4 miles away) 3 min after I called. Cisco got back a little before 2:30 and helped adjust and readjust the water temp in the birth pool as I got in. Stephanie called my phone and Cisco answered. She was outside but we hadn't heard her knock. Cisco went to let her in, right as I had a contraction and I felt like I needed pressure on my back to make me feel comfortable. I called for him to come help me, and they both came back. Stephanie started getting her things out and ready for the birth.
Cisco started to double make the bed, but I told him to deal with it later because I needed him to come put pressure on my back again. I had two contractions right in a row without a break that were pretty intense and I felt myself pushing. I was able to stay calm and relaxed though as I pushed, staying on my knees in the pool. I could feel her head was right there. With the next contraction I pushed and soon her head came out easily. I waited until the next contraction and then I pushed and the rest of her body slipped out. I reached down and brought her up to my chest. We checked right away to see what she was. Her umbilical cord was short and in the way, so it took a little bit before I realized we had another little girl. We were both so happy to have a sister for Emery and Shane as they both wanted another girl (ok, we all did).
She was born at 2:49 am, just 6 minutes after the midwife got there and about 20 minutes after Cisco got back from dropping off the kids.
It was such a wonderful, calm, peaceful, yet powerful birth. I had been preparing and practicing my relaxation techniques with Hypnobabies for months along with doing yoga, and I really felt like that helped make things go smoothly. I was able to feel relaxed and calm and in control during the whole birth, and I felt great after the birth as well.
I stayed in the birthing pool for a little longer and greeted the assistant midwife, Jen, who had just showed up. My two midwives Stephanie and Jen were also at Shane's birth so it was so nice to have them there again. I got out of the pool and went into our bed and laid down, grateful for another quick, easy and comfortable birth. I called my mom 30 minutes after she was born and she asked what was going on now, because I called her so soon after the first time I called. I told her the baby was already here and she was pretty surprised.
After her cord was cut, the midwife checked her out next to me on the bed, and had her weighed and measured. She stayed for a little longer and then I started feeling tired, so she left and we were all able to go back to sleep, a few hours after she was born. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect birth, and I was so glad to be able to share it with just Cisco and my two wonderful midwives.




Comments

Unknown said…
Amazing!!! you are one Brave girl!!! so happy for you and Cisco!

Popular Posts